niccu 5/16

niccu 5/16
in the children's hospital niccu on 5/16/11 4 hours after birth

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Update 7/26/11

Sorry it has been so long since I have given you all an update. Stephen is doing very good. We were given the green light to take out his feeding tube this week after letting the doctor know that we were not really using the feeding tube and that he is eating well even though it is not the entire 95ml's. Sometimes he eats that amount, but not always. Today his weight check was good so we go for another weight check next Tuesday. I am so glad the feeding tube is out, I hope that it stays out because it gives him an awful cough and he cries and is so fussy when it is in and when we have to put it in or take it out. We are using half breast milk ad half fortified formula for the extra calories. He is absolutely adorable and so funny. He has started to ooh and ahh. He smiles a little bit too. His personality has really started to develop more this last week. He loves smiling at his Daddy everyday when he gets home from work. It just melts my heart and brings happy tears to my eyes. He has also been doing really well at night. After we got home from the hospital he was not on a schedule and wanted to stay up all night. So I have been putting him to bed about 15 minutes after he eat throughout the night and it has really been working. Hooray! The one thing I do like about the hospital is that his feeding schedule is on the dot every 3 hours or a few minutes sooner. I think he is going through a growth spurt because yesterday he ate so much and every 2 hours. I love this breast feeding workshop we are going to every Friday. It is a great social outing I look forward to and very helpful. He takes to my breast usually at least once a day and when he looses his latch gets really upset and can't focus so that is when I give him his bottle. So we are working on it since he was not able to do it at the hospital. Every therapist that worked with us there said it was too traumatizing and gave up. Go figure because now at 10 weeks Mommy and the breast feeding workshop is making such great progress. I am so proud of my little Bubbie. He also got circumcised last week and he did great. Everyone who has seen it says it looks absolutely  amazing. He also has his post op appointment and she said he is doing really well, he does have a herniated belly button, but should hopefully correct by the age of 5 and if not it may require surgery. She also wants to watch him closely this next year to be cautious since most re-herniation ocurr within the 1st year What a champ, he has been through so much and he is really making progress daily. We are so lucky to have this amazing little miracle in our lives. I am so in love with him. We have come such a long long way.

1 comment: